Interested in Working for Lingua Espresso as An Instructor?
We specialize in teaching English online to Japanese adults
using Skype. We offer private instruction which follows a
fully-customized lesson plan for each student. We are
currently looking for instructors who
meet the general requirements; however,
we sometimes have additional seasonal
preferences. Those who do not meet this will
still be considered, but those who do will be given much
What This Position Is and Isn't
This position is:
- ... ideal for those who are starting out in their TESOL
career and want to acquire more hands-on experiences.
- ... ideal for those busy moms who are looking for a job
that they can do before the kids wake up.
- ... ideal for those who already have a busy schedule but
need a job that they can do from home.
- ... ideal for those who are quick and nimble on their feet
and resourceful enough to handle surprises.
Please see Benefits for more.
This position is not:
- ... suitable for those who are looking
for sources of income big enough to fully support
themselves; it should only be considered a supplementary
- ... suitable for those who need to see a steady income
stream immediately; it could take a few months, possibly
more, to get a comfortable number of students.
- ... entirely on line in that we conduct a face-to-face
conventional interview held in Seattle as part of the
We have an introductory essay writing course
(syllabus). Unlike our typical private
lessons, this resembles a conventional classroom course,
although it is still taught on line; it is a group course, and
it follows a predetermined lesson schedule. The class meets
weekly, on late Friday afternoons (e.g., 5pm — That's
their 10am, Saturdays) for an hour and a half. We need an
instructor who can start teaching this course in
Most of the students take this course as part of their
preparation for TOEFL. This means their English is
generally not good enough for college-level classes in the US
and that this course has a strong ESL element to it.
You do not necessarily need an advanced English degree, but
we prefer those who have taught essay writing at college
level. You will also need to have a
relatively strong TESOL background with adult
learners because the students will ask you the kinds of
questions native speakers will not ask.
We are looking for people who:
- are available immediately,
- are native speakers of English,
- live in the vicinity of Seattle,
- can use a Windows PC of a relatively recent model with a
high-speed internet connection at home for this job,
- can have Skype calls with good sound quality with the
computer setup you are going to use for this job,
- have basic computer skills (email, Web, Skype, Word, etc.) and
check their email at least once per day,
- are known to be able to be available to teach in at
least two of the following time slots for four
months or longer:
are open to irregularities in work schedule (for example, we have
a few students who have to schedule week-by-week at possibly
slightly different times, rather than settling on a fixed
have experience in teaching English to non-native
speakers, mastering a foreign language, or both
(TESL/TESOL/TEFL certification a plus),
have a bachelor's degree or higher,
have excellent communication skills,
are prompt and responsible,
are motivated problem solvers who require minimum training
can organize incoming information for prompt retrieval at a later
time when necessary,
have their livelihood secured from other sources,
enjoy teaching and talking with people from other countries, and,
have experiences living in a foreign country (optional,
but desired; living on a military base does not meet this
- somewhere between 4-8am Monday-Friday (this is
their weekday nights due to the time difference) at
least twice a week;
- 4-8pm Friday and Saturday (this corresponds to
their weekend mornings),
- respectable portion of weekday daytime.
Benefits of the position include:
- Working from the comfort of your home, and
possibly away from home too, as long as you have
access to a PC connected to broadband Internet.
- A flexible schedule — You set the hours you are
willing to teach, as long as you meet the minimum
- The opportunity to talk to others across the world in real
- The opportunity to supplement your income.
- The opportunity to gain more experience teaching English
as a foreign language for those of you interested in this
- The very rewarding opportunity to exercise your creativity
with highly motivated students and be appreciated.
How to Apply
If you'd like to apply for this job, please follow the
following three steps (yes, all three):
- Measure your Internet connection speed by
provided instructions. Estimated time: 5 min.
in our online application form. Estimated
time: 30-60 min.
- Send us your resume (plain text, RTF, Word or PDF) by
at firstname.lastname@example.org. Start
the subject with your full name, followed by your one-line
blurb to help us organize your applications.
Despite the typical advice by career counselors, we do not
mind resumes longer than two pages. They can be longer as
long as: i) they are so because it contains pertinent
information; and ii) it is presented in a visually clean
You will be contacted by us if you passed the initial
screening. Please check your spam settings to ensure
that our reply email will not be deleted.